If the muslin fits…

image

Yesterday I went on a muslin making spree. I had to resize my pattern first because it was about 3 inches off. I thought the new pattern still looked a bit too big but after I’d sewed the darts on the muslin it fit me like glove. I’m a bit nervous about having a go with the real fabric because I bet I need to make quite a few adjustments anyway. The fabric I used for the muslin is more supple than the one I’ll use for the real thing and has a tiny bit of stretch. Maybe the fabric will soften a bit after I pre-wash it. The fabric is cotton in a mint colour, kind of like this:

image

One strange thing is that the version I’m making, view 3 (the yellow one in the picture) has no closure in the design at all. I think this is nuts. It would have to be huge for me to be able to slip it on. Or maybe in a stretchy material, but to me it seems like the design needs a structured fabric. Simplicity pattern makers of 1958, what on earth were you thinking? I’m definitely going to have to add a zip. View 1 and 2 have instructions for adding a zip so it shouldn’t be too hard to figure it out.

Sewing the real thing is going to require a lot of patience because this time it actually has to look neat… I’ve also got facings and trimmings to contend with but all in all, it’s going quite well so far!

Advertisements

Leave a comment below :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s